Friday 29 July 2011

Mary Blair

I thought it would be nice to talk about influences and peoples work I admire, So here is a video about Disney artist Mary Blair. 
Blair worked as a concept artist for Walt Disney in the 1940's and 50's creating concept art and colour design for films such as Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland. 

I am learning to paint again from scratch in the hope that I can better understand the subtleties of using colour and have found that there are very few books on the subject of painting in a particular style or working with colour. 
Something that has always stuck with me are the images at the end of the original Captain Scarlet series and the way in which they are painted. I have always tried to get to that level of realism with my work but never been successful, so perhaps by starting all over again I can improve. 

Anyway, sit back and enjoy the video.

I would like to know what artists have influenced you and why, so please feel free to comment below. 




No comments:

Post a Comment